Express Media is honoured to present The Kat Muscat Fellowship, offering support and development for a young writer or editor.
About The Kat Muscat Fellowship
The annual Kat Muscat Fellowship offers professional development up to the value of $3,000 for an editorial project or work of writing by a young female-identifying or non-binary person. Kat’s writing embodied her personal mantra of feminism, empathy and defiance, and each year the recipient of the fellowship is asked to take up her notion of challenge: exploring bold subjects, thinking deeply and critically about the world and the culture we consume, and reflecting and building on the craft of writing or editing.
The Kat Muscat Fellowship is made possible with the generous support of the Muscat family and the broader community. Express Media manages a fund and collects donations to ensure Kat’s legacy and continue to deliver The Kat Muscat Fellowship in perpetuity. Express Media has Deductible Gift Recipient status, so as well as being much appreciated, donations to The Kat Muscat Fellowship are tax deductible.
Applications are now open for the 2017 Kat Muscat Fellowship.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be female-identifying (including cis and trans women) or non-binary
- Be aged 16 to 30 at the commencement of the fellowship in 2017
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia
- Propose a suitable project that aligns with the theme of ‘Challenge’, and the values of Express Media and The Kat Muscat Fellowship.
What Can I Apply For?
The Kat Muscat Fellowship offers professional development up to the value of $3,000 in 2017. These funds may be used towards professional development opportunities, including, but not limited to: mentoring, residencies, interstate travel, or project fees.
The final budget will be developed in consultation with, and managed by, Express Media.
Vision: What is your idea and proposed project?
Impact: What impact will the Kat Muscat Fellowship have on your artistic practice and career, and what is the potential impact of your project on the wider community?
Capacity: What relevant experience or track record have you demonstrated, or how can you outline your personal and creative potential to make this project happen?
Feasibility: How will you realise or execute your proposed project, and is it achievable within the budget and timeframe of the Fellowship?
The Custodial Committee of The Kat Muscat Legacy Projects, which includes members of Express Media’s board and staff, the Muscat family and appointed community members, will select successful applications.
How To Apply
Applications will only be accepted from individual writer and editors, not collectives, groups or existing publications.
Your application must include:
1. A 1-page CV outlining your previous experience as a writer or editor. This CV must include the names and contact details of at least 2 referees.
2. A statement detailing your project or idea that addresses each of the Selection Criteria, to a maximum of 2 pages.
3. An excerpt or example of your work up to 1000 words.
- For writers, this may be an excerpt from a longer work, a completed short work, or a collection of poems.
- For editors, this may include an editorial, statement of intent for the project, or example of work that demonstrates your skills in curation, assessment, and feedback (i.e. the before and after of an edited work).
Your application may also include up to 3 letters of support from peers, colleagues or other professionals of standing that demonstrate how the supporter would be involved in your project.